RE: Re: OT Coffee machine

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: OT Coffee machine
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 01:55:56 +0100

> I'd think twice about a drip-filter machine. When my last drip
> machine expired a couple of years ago, I replaced it with a high-end
> Krups "Orchestro" model which grinds the beans in-situ and
can
> prepare a conventional american "long" coffee, as well as
various
> other styles including espresso and cappucino, by the cup. Since each
> cup is made on-demand, the water is at the right temperature and the
> coffee is fresh. I love it, visitors frequently rave about the coffee
> it produces. Of course, this all comes at a price - it depends how
> fanatical you are about your coffee I guess.

The drip/hotplate idea is great when there are guests in as no domestic
coffee maker I know of can handle making more than two cups at a time
and even some of the commercial ones struggle. I don't like percolated
coffee so I really don't bother with it, but the Lavia (IIRC) stove top
espresso percolator isn't too shabby.

For Latte/cappuccino just buy a Gaggia, trust me! ;)

As I'm sure anyone that has visited my house can tell you, I take my
coffee extremely seriously indeed and the best performing machine by a
mile was the Gaggia. So impressed was I that I spent =A3400 on it and that
was with a discount at the time and, TBH, I didn't object to paying
that. Mine also has a built-in grinder but that has pros and cons, like
if you don't use it enough the stuff in the hopper doesn't taste right,
it has to be used a lot to justify it.

For a cheap drip maker the Krups Aroma Perfect one isn't half bad
either, but as has been pointed out in this thread most of it comes down
to *your* choice in coffees and the way you treat them. If you don't use
the beans for a while, stick them in the freezer, constant use stuff in
the fridge after that it comes down to trying different coffees, check
out Whittards as there range isn't bad and a good starting point. Many
of the supermarket coffees are okay, but just that, okay. :/

HTH

K.

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20