RE: Grand Designs tonight

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Grand Designs tonight
  • From: "Dean Barrett" <dean@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:22:34 -0000

Unfortunately he fell in to the same trap that much of the construction
industry does - he wanted it on the cheap !!

I've spent the last 20 years in the construction industry on an almost
daily
basis negotiating contract prices. Time and time again developers will
commit themselves to the cheapest price with no concern of the
concequences.
His roof started at100k+ and after 23 companies he got it down to 40+,
where
does he think the other 60k was ?? - was it perhaps that the glue was going
to be better first time ?? - better fitment etc.

I'm sure the joinery shop was good, but at the end of the day you gets what
you pay for. It still suprises me how often we hear that the contractor
that
won a job submitted a price only equal to our equipment cost prices... We
do
electrical/data etc. to  2000 houses a year and I doubt there are many 1
man
band working out the back of their van that buy better than we do !!

At the end of the day he was a fool to himself - the industry is already
full of people that think they can bargain and knock down prices and still
get a good job :(

** Sorry - rant mode off now **

Dean.