Re: Hello from Ireland

Hi Jonathan,

welcome to the group.

>I joined the list several months ago and have been lurking, learning
and
>holding tightly onto my debit card ever since.

You'll need to lock it away and throw away the key ;)

>A rare but liberal dose of alcohol has sufficiently loosened my
fingers,

There's a start then :)

>so I thought I had better overcome my shyness and introduce myself, and
>ask a few questions.
>First some background: I have recently escaped the rat race of the UK
>and moved to the North West of Ireland. I am currently renovating and
>living in an old cottage in County Mayo. It is a beautiful part of the
>world and I can thoroughly recommend it. It certainly beats life on the
>road as a PC service engineer.

Sound perfect, I'd love to escape - the only problem is SWMBO wants to
be in the middle of nowhere..... an I want to have broadband...

>1)       Is anyone else on this list living in Eire? I could do with
>finding some information about HA suppliers etc

Although its UKha there are people all over the world here... iirc I do
there is at least one person in Eire...

>2)       I am also considering setting up a HA business- there seems to
>be a big gap in the market here. All advice appreciated.

>From what I've heard it's a tough market...

>5)       Has anyone managed to DIY an X10 Garage Door opener? Any
ideas,
>links, suggestions or experiences appreciated.

I have a garage opener that has inputs on it so I use 2 universal modules
to open and
close the door. However I also have 3 other appliance modules connected 2
in series, 1 parallel, all
on different house and unit codes. This is a security precaution, the last
thing I want is for
a power spike to open the garage door when I'm not at home...Essentially
the setup is like this
(YHG will probably screw up the formatting)

AM12(a)	}	AM12(b) -> UM7206(1) - Open door
}	AM12(c) -> UM7206(2) - Close door

So to open the door I turn on:

AM12(a) + Am12(b) + UM7206(1)

But you have to have a pause between each device turning on. This is purely
a safety net, I actually
have a radio remote that opens the door too, but if SWMBO gets locked out
all she needs to do is
call me and I can open the door so she can get in the house.

HTH

Andy

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx