Re: Alarm wiring

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Alarm wiring
  • From: "the_home_automator" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:07:17 -0000

I assume you are talking about ordinary four and six core alarm cable.

There is no official standard for what colours should be used for
wat.  Furthermore, the cores are not twisted, so there are no natural
pairs, unlike cat5 for example.

So you are free to pick any colour to make your pairs you like.

Advice: be consistent in your use of cores throught your alarm.  This
is easy for four core ensors, but gets more contentious when you get
to six core for PIRs, as black and red (the natural colur for the 12v
feed) is also present in the four core cable.  So the12v feed is not
usually on red/black.

As long as you are consistent, it is reasonably obvious within a few
seconds of opening a panel what the colour scheme is, so there are no
real problems with future (and next owner) support.

David.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)"
<haweste@a...> wrote:
> A quickie . . .
>
> I've pulled all my alarm cable some time ago and due to recent
events I now need to install the alarm proper. Is there colour-code
convention for wiring the sensors (mostly PIRs), keypads, bell etc ?
e.g. which pairs for power, alarm and tamper ?

> A secondary question . . . I want to allow space in my wiring
closet to fit the Comfort panel in future, does anyone have the box
dimensions to hand ?

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx