Re: 12" TFT flat screen monitors on ebay

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: 12" TFT flat screen monitors on ebay
  • From: "Chris Deighton" <Chris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:34:21 -0000

Hi all,

I bought a two of these (from a different source) a couple of years
ago. I did manage to get them going with Windows, either in 16 or
256 colours - I forget which.

However, while these screens are LCD, they are NOT TFT!!! They're
passive matrix. (http://www.pyrotechnics.demon.co.uk/smooth_lcd.htm)

Also, the ones I bought were in pretty poor condition. (The centre
of the image was completely different contrast/brightness to the
edges of the image, such that if the settings were adjusted for one
area of the screen, the other areas would be practically
unreadable.) The viewing angle was also very poor compared to todays
TFT's. I ended up returning them for a refund after deciding they
weren't really useable.

Of course, this was just my experience with them, and I imagine I
just got a couple of really old knackered ones, so don't let this
put you off too much. Still, if anyone's thinking of bidding for
them, I'd contact the seller and confirm exactly what kind of
condition they're in first.

There's a bit more info here:

http://www.keycorp.net/terminals/k55andk56.htm

Hope this helps someone!