Re: Re: Are you interested in VoIP ?

Hi Andy,

> If your Netgear (router?) works fine, I am guessing that:
Yes, it is a broadband wireless router - Netgear MR314 (an old model)

> Ports 5082 and 5060 are open and media ports 16384-16391 are open.
>
> or (more unlikely)
Not any open port for inbound connections. This is the strange thing.
More, the PC is not in DMZ, so it is "fully" isolated by the NAT

> the Netgear MR314 is SIP aware - I think this last one is very
unlikely,
I've looked at
> the datasheet for it and it doesn't mention it - but then it may be a
feature that they just
> don't mention..
I don't know....

> I'm interested in your Netgear configuration, since if you are using
NAT
there is no way
> for the Netgear to know where to send the 'call', fwd would point to
your
external ip not
> an internal one, not only that but the media ports are negotiated
between
the clients
> (soft or hard) so the Netgear would effectively need to either have
lots
of ports open or
> be dynamically opening them.
>
> If FWD are using a 'special'  proxy then all may be 'fine and dandy'
with
other FWD users,
> however have you tried getting a non fwd SIP user to call you?

Can you try now a call to the FWD number 21444 ? It is the PC behind the
router.
I cannot answer by voice, because I am not at home, but I am connected to
the home through RDP.
I will answer and you will see that the connection is started.

> I'm certainly interested in your setup, since it could mean a cheaper
solution for people.

Just wait for a call at that number.

Dan

> Andy

> On 11/03/2003 at 14:57 Dan wrote:
>
> >Andy,
> >
> >I am new too in this filed, but please explain why my NAT firewall
(a
> >Netgear MR314) works with SIP without any special configuration,
even
with
> >several software ip phones behind?
> >I can initiate and answer outside calls without any port
redirection or
> >something like that.
> >
> >I talk about FWD, where a special proxy and port pair is used for
NAT
> >connections (different from the one for direct connection)
> >
> >Thank you,
> >Dan

> >> Other issues involve the traversal of SIP over NAT. If your
firewall is
> >not SIP aware then
> >> you need to open a few ports and use port redirection. This
means that
> >you
> >could only
> >> have 1 phone (soft or hard) internally able to receive/send
calls
> >externally (tho internal ones
> >> could happily call each other. The alternative is to get a
SIP aware