Re: OT: NTSC VCR....?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT: NTSC VCR....?
  • From: Nick Austin <nick1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 19:51:19 +0000

At 03:34 PM 3/8/03 +0000, Doogie Brodie wrote:

> Does anyone know of any cheapish VCRs that will just output an NTSC
> video signal from an NTSC tape that are available in this country, or
am
> I faced with importing a bog standard bargain basement player from the
> states?

I'd don't have you're previous mail, so I'm not sure what the problem
is that you are trying to solve.

If you output NTSC then everything downstream must also be able to
handle NTSC.  This will include the TV.

PAL60 exploits the fact that TV's split the horizontal and vertical
components of the video signal.  These are then processed separately.
The vertical circuits are usually designed to accept wide tolerances
of up to +/- 20%.

PAL60 has the vertical characteristics of NTSC and the horizontal
characteristics of PAL.  TV's can usually stretch themselves enough to
produce a watchable picture.  Try to feed a PAL60 signal into anything
else (e.g. another VCR in record mode) and it won't work.

> Why is everything in video so complicated! ??? !!!

Because video is a delivery mechanism (Camera to transmitter,
transmitter to TV).  It was never designed to be stored or processed.
The situation we arrive at today where storage and processing are cheap
are widely available is the result of many decades of R&D effort into
solving these problems.  Unfortunately consumers don't buy standards
converters, so these remain expensive.

Nick.

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx