Re: Camcorder reviews site?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Camcorder reviews site?
  • From: "biggles299" <charles@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:24:53 -0000

Nik
I went throught the same exercise last year. After trying several of=20
the small vertical style "pocket" camcorders e.g. Sony IP5. I
found=20
that I could not control it properly with my sausage like fingers.=20
In the end I bought a Canon MV450i. Comments are as follows:

Does all you ask plus analogue in as well.
Not the smallest camcorder but a really good ergonomic design.
Now replaced by the 500i/550i. Go for the 500i, the still facility=20
to memory card on the 550i is pants and not worth the extra dosh.
Make sure you get the "i" version this does Digital video both
in=20
and out.
Only =A3500 for the 500i version on the street.
Picture quality is not the best and I have seen some evidence of=20
colour bleed with very bright colours but very acceptable for=20
everyday use. (I used to be a broadcast engineer and sent 4 TVs back=20
before I was satisfied with one, so I am picky on that front)

All in all you get what you pay for. It's not the best spec machine=20
but the price is very keen. It's easy to use (even SWMBO likes it!)

What I would recommend is that you take yourself to a decent=20
photographers that carries camcorders and try them. I had made up my=20
mind to buy a Sony based on reviews and specs but when I went to=20
actually use it, I found it difficult to operate.=20
Somebody like Jessops will price match (even internet if you push=20
them) so you can try it and give them the business.

Hope this helps and good luck with your selection
Charles

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@k...> wrote:
> Thanks,
> I'm more after something like http://www.dpreview.com/. Very=20
detailed
> and still not confusing.
>=20=20
> I checked archive, and I can't find any such sites mentioned.
>=20=20
> I'm after some small (very important) camcorder. I don't want to=20
have a
> big bag carrying around, because it always stays in hotel room.
> It must be digital, and have DV-in and DV-out. And not cost arm=20
and a
> leg. S-video out (not composite) is also a must, to be able to=20
connect
> it to TV decently.
>=20=20
> Any suggestions?
>=20=20
> I'm still reading about digital camcorders and I'm not sure what=20
else do
> I really need.=20
> What kind of file you get when you transfer your recording from
> camcorder to PC? Is it .avi, .mpg?
> Some new cameras support MPEG2. I don't know what's the difference.
> Cheers,
> Nik
>=20
<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=3D247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=3Degroupweb/S=3D1
705
> 041992:HM/A=3D1482387/R=3D0/*http://ads.x10.com/?
bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=3DRNDSITEI
> D=3D1046938933%
3eM=3D247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=3Degroupweb/S=3D1705041992
> :HM/A=3D1482387/R=3D1>=20=09
>=20=20
> <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
M=3D247865.3003379.4374531.2848452/D=3Degrou
> pmail/S=3D:HM/A=3D1482387/rand=3D432333543>=20=09
>=20
> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk=20
> Post message: ukha_d@xxxxxxx=20
> Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx=20