[OT] - killing a windows process?

Question for the win32 programmers among us...

(Oh, and the process I want to kill is homeseer.exe, so it's not *totally*
OT...)

Anyone know how to programatically kill a running process under Windows (XP
in this case...). I need to be able to be certain that the process has been
terminated completely, just as surely as if I use the task manager GUI and
use the "End Process" button...

My initial thoughts have been...

a) Use the Resource Kit "Kill" utility, - but this is a bit of a
bodge as
I'd have to shell out to run it...

b) Use the Win32 API directly, this would be my preferred method, but I
don't know what call I need, or how to call it from VB. (or even if that is
possible?)  I'm guessing I need the WM_CLOSE API call? Bear in mind that I
don't know the process ID, so I also need to enumerate that at run-time...

Any ideas/suggestions?  - code snippets... :-)

TIA

Paul G.