Re: [OT] Windows DNS and hosts file...

Hi,

The order in which the different name resolution methods are used depends
on
the node type defined for the network connection.
Usually there are several methods to solve the names, separate for
hostnames
and for NetBIOS names: HOSTS file, LMHOSTS file, DNS, WINS, broadcast.
Hostnames are used for ping, web access, etc. and NetBIOS names are used
for
share access.
They can be different for the same machine, but this is not recommended.
HOSTS file is used for hostnames and LMHOSTS is used for NetBIOS names.
The HOSTS file is checked even if you have DNS server defined and LMHOSTS
even if you have WINS servers defined.

Just an example.... for node type 0x8 (hybrid) WINS is checked first for
NetBIOS names.

Look at the following link for more details regarding the name resolution
path..
http://ctdp.tripod.com/os/windows/wintcp/wtcpname.html

If you need further support, send me a mail.

Best regards,
Dan