From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 11:02 PM
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Any recommendations for ceiling speakers

Steve,

Depends on how much you want to spend, inevitably.

Linn Sweetspots (http://www.linn.co.uk/spec_sound/products.cfm?
range=loudspeaker) come in at £85 +VAT  / pair at somewhere like
Cyberselect (www.cyberselect.co.uk). They are very discrete, and fit
in the kind of holes in which you normally get halogen downlighters.

The KEF UNI-Q Ci100R would be about £100 + VAT. I've never really
been able to get into the KEF sound, but they've been making huge
progress in the last couple of years, and some of their cinema stuff
is reportedly very good.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - second-hand speakers can
be very good value. Unlike, say, CD players, they have a limited
number of failure modes, and pretty much all the failure modes are
obvious on a short listen. Likewise, they tend not to be "about to
wear out" unless you abuse them. (Compare, say, older CD transports.)
I've seen the Sweetspots come up on eBay from time to time.

I would recommend a trip down to your local independant hi-fi dealer.
Many of them have custom installation arms, and while I'm guessing
you would rather install yourself, they should be able to recommend
something.

And, a hi-fi post from me would not be complete without recommending
my favourite dealer - Phase 3 hi-fi in Worthing.... Not the closest
to me by a long shot, but, in the words of the Marketing Director of
B&W "one of the UK's top ten dealerships" - and he wasn't
talking
about turnover, so I go there every time :-)

Regards,

Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Steve Cooper <steve.cooper@u...>"

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx