Re: Any recommendations for ceiling speakers

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Any recommendations for ceiling speakers
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 23:02:53 -0000

Steve,

Depends on how much you want to spend, inevitably.

Linn Sweetspots (http://www.linn.co.uk/spec_sound/products.cfm?
range=3Dloudspeaker) come in at =A385 +VAT  / pair at somewhere like=20
Cyberselect (www.cyberselect.co.uk). They are very discrete, and fit=20
in the kind of holes in which you normally get halogen downlighters.

The KEF UNI-Q Ci100R would be about =A3100 + VAT. I've never really=20
been able to get into the KEF sound, but they've been making huge=20
progress in the last couple of years, and some of their cinema stuff=20
is reportedly very good.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - second-hand speakers can=20
be very good value. Unlike, say, CD players, they have a limited=20
number of failure modes, and pretty much all the failure modes are=20
obvious on a short listen. Likewise, they tend not to be "about to=20
wear out" unless you abuse them. (Compare, say, older CD
transports.)=20
I've seen the Sweetspots come up on eBay from time to time.

I would recommend a trip down to your local independant hi-fi dealer.=20
Many of them have custom installation arms, and while I'm guessing=20
you would rather install yourself, they should be able to recommend=20
something.

And, a hi-fi post from me would not be complete without recommending=20
my favourite dealer - Phase 3 hi-fi in Worthing.... Not the closest=20
to me by a long shot, but, in the words of the Marketing Director of=20
B&W "one of the UK's top ten dealerships" - and he wasn't
talking=20
about turnover, so I go there every time :-)

Regards,

Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Steve Cooper
<steve.cooper@u...>"=20