Re: Home Security ?

>> Just got back from a business trip to Southern Ireland to find
that we
were
>> burgled during the night. SWMBO and the kids were asleep upstairs
at the
>> time

Sorry to hear that, anyway lets see how I can help.

>> From looking over past posts it seems COMFORT is the proffered
>> system of most people. At the moment I have no X10 stuff and am
just
flood
>> wiring with Cat5 to each room . I'm also toying with the idea of
C-Bus
>> lighting, but the cost is pretty steep. The cost of COMFORT is
also
pretty
>> steep compared to a standard Alarm system so what advantages does
it
give me
>> in the real world.. is it worth the extra money ?

Well I don't have any experience of any system other than Comfort but can
tell you what it does do.

Allows you to set the sensors so that they are either active or inactive in
Away, Home and Night Modes.  We set our alarm to night mode in the evening
when we go to bed and it alarm the whole of downstairs then have it switch
the security off if some walks down the stairs i.e. triggers the landing
then hall PIR with 5 seconds of each other.  Comfort can also be used to
control CBUS with the right serial module attached.  It terms of other
function it does X10, timers, outputs for powering anything 12v (obviously
limited current directly though but ideal for relays to large devices).
Many other function that as well.  Is it worth it well, I think so but you
could do it cheaper with less options if you like probably.  Worth looking
at Scott's system as well http://www.intamac.com

>> I have a Samsung PBX that I bought of eBay a year or so ago
although
I've
>> not
>> actually installed it yet. I've read that COMFORT can phone your
mobile
>> automatically on trigger events, can it happily co-exist with a
PBX
>> (analogue).

Yes my alarm phones me when an event occurs whether that be an alarm or a
power cut.  You can dial in and control the alarm via a pin number and use
the keys to control the menu system. You can get it to try one number and
then if no reply another one.  No experience of PBX though, someone else
may be able to help there.

>> Since we've just had new PVC windows installed and I don't want to
stick
>> unsightly magnetic contacts on them I'm thinking that infrared
beams
across
>> the doorways and windows is probably my best bet. I'll also add a
PIR in
>> each
>> room (I guess I can also use these for room occupancy at a later
date).
>> What do I need to do to install these. Is it enough to just run a
length
of
>> Cat5 to each position or should I be using shielded cable ? Also
should
I be
>> running power cables as well ?

Room occapancy with alarm PIR is fine in areas of large movement like halls
and kitchens but they aren't sensitive to pick up someone moving slightly
on the sofa.  In term of cable PIR's are fine being power and having the
trigger wires on Cat5e.  IR beam will depend on the current required IIRC
Cat5e is rated at about 300mA at 12v.  Comfort recommend shielded alarm
cable for the doorphone and keypads though, although some people have used
Cat5 for that as well.

S.

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not
read, copy or otherwise use it and do not disclose it to anyone else.
Please notify the sender of the delivery error and then delete the
message from your system.

Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author only.

Communications will be monitored regularly to improve our service and for
security and regulatory purposes.

Thank you for your assistance.