Home Security ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Home Security ?
  • From: "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:36:20 -0000

Just got back from a business trip to Southern Ireland to find that we were
burgled during the night. SWMBO and the kids were asleep upstairs at the
time
and is now very nervous about being in the house on her own. She's started
campaign with the kids, to "persuade" me we *NEED* a dog.
Obviously from my
point of view a dog isn't very automated so a burglar alarm system seems a
better bet :)

>From looking over past posts it seems COMFORT is the proffered
system of most people. At the moment I have no X10 stuff and am just flood
wiring with Cat5 to each room . I'm also toying with the idea of C-Bus
lighting, but the cost is pretty steep. The cost of COMFORT is also pretty
steep compared to a standard Alarm system so what advantages does it give
me
in the real world.. is it worth the extra money ?

I have a Samsung PBX that I bought of eBay a year or so ago although I've
not
actually installed it yet. I've read that COMFORT can phone your mobile
automatically on trigger events, can it happily co-exist with a PBX
(analogue).

Since we've just had new PVC windows installed and I don't want to stick
unsightly magnetic contacts on them I'm thinking that infrared beams across
the doorways and windows is probably my best bet. I'll also add a PIR in
each
room (I guess I can also use these for room occupancy at a later date).
What do I need to do to install these. Is it enough to just run a length of
Cat5 to each position or should I be using shielded cable ? Also should I
be
running power cables as well ?

Marcus

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx