RE: Query on Rating

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Query on Rating
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:12:42 -0000

> Hi Des
>             Below a copy from a previous post by Alanc

Thanks for that Frank, it was that thread that put it in my head, but I
still think Alanccs' suggestion is against the regs. (Even though it sounds
perfectly acceptable to me!)( That is how it is done in industrial control
panels after all)

Does the pink stuff have each individual wire insulation rated at mains
voltage, I doubt it, which means even if using it, you will still have LV
rated wires in the consumer unit, even if only a few cm's of each. Which
sort of negates the point of using it at all?

Did you get any of the pink cat5 yet? Any idea on cost? My Parents might
have a heavy suitcase next time they come back from NZ, lol.

Cheers, Des.

<armagh@b...> wrote:

> > > Yes you can but just reading the clipsal tech notes there is
an
> > issue (in
> > > aussie at least) were the cat5 would have to have the same
rating
> > as the
> > > other mains cable in the consumer unit hence the clipsal
pink cat5
> > is heavy
> > > duty and mains rated................as i understand it
> >
> > This is also the case within the UK.  You cannot run cables
adjacent
> > to mains wiring (in the same conduit or enclosure) unless the
> > insulation is adequate for the higher volage.  Thus you need cat5
> > with insulation rated for 250VAC, which is probably next to
impossble
> > to find.
> >
> > What I do is to put a junction box outside the enclosure where I
> > terminate the cat5,and come out using 0.5mm single core
switchgear