RE: On Screen Display - STV5730A IS being discontinued :-(

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: On Screen Display - STV5730A IS being discontinued :-(
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 03:05:27 +0100

Hi Kevin,

Back in the days of the BBC Micro, it had 8 different video modes using
varying amounts of the 32K ram available for both program and display. Mode
7 was the most frugal mode using only 1K of RAM for the whole screen. This
it did by having a teletext chipset in addition to its graphics controller.

I wrote most of my programs using Mode 7 and had a teletext feel to most of
the screens, down to the title bar which had a continuous data/time display
at the top.

At the time, I looked for suitable chipsets to to do the task but there
were
very few options as TV sets got more complex. Looking round the Philips
Semiconductor website last night for OSD chips I found that they also didnt
have any discrete OSD chips.

The tendancy now is to cram almost the whole TV or Monitor chipset into a
single LSI chip that deals with Tuning, Scannning, Teletext, other OSD etc.
Its one of the things that has emabled the price of TV's to plumet with a
manufacturer being able to offer a whole range of sets where the only
differences between the sets are the size of the cabinet and tube.

Part of the SCART specification relates to the use of Pin 16 (Fast
Blanking/RGB). This is the pin you must activate to allow RGB signals into
the TV. Normally this is also used with Pin 8 for allowing an external
source to override the internal tuner, but the STV5730A datasheet mentions
using it in RGB mode to allow coloured text to be overlaid. It does this by
taking the tuners output from SCART and locking the signal to it, then just
using the Fast Blanking pin to overlay the test.

People on the list have previously mentioned that they have accidently used
this "feature" of the SCART when they have had RGB equipment
connected but
havent actually selected Pin 8. Sadly, different TV manufacturers implement
the SCART standards in different ways so that functionality isnt always
guaranteed to work.

With the increase in low cost graphics cards and all in one motherboards
such as the VIA ITX board that have TV out there are other possibilities.
Using such a board at 640x480 would enable good quality text and graphics
be sent to a TV by choosing a suitable font size that was optimised for TV
viewing.

To get a superb quality text and graphics display would require a graphics
card that could output at RGB instead of S-Video or Composite. The
difference would be like going from Tivo/Digibox menus as Composite to
menus
as RGB. However, that would still lack the "Overlay" capability
that we
really need. To do that would mean that the graphics card would have to be
Genlocked to the existing Video screen. That was definately possible in the
days of the BBC Micro because the ones they used on the TV shows had been
modified with an external video input to lock the signal to. If I could
find
out what they did the I could re-use the 6 BBC B's that I have stored in
the
loft!

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv

BlackBox
> Camera Co still
> have their OSD boards available but no longer supply just the
> chips so that
> they can prolong the life of their product by keeping all the
> stocks for
> themselves.
>
> I did buy some chips from them a couple of years ago and they
> were only
> about £5 each which is less than the current quantity trade price :-(
>
> Looks like a video overlay device for xAP and xPL will need a bit of a
> redesign if it is to be a long term project.... sorry Frank!
>
> To sum it up in one word..... BUGGER !!!!!
>
> Keith
>
> www.diyha.co.uk
> www.kat5.tv
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=243107.3426472.4708766.1501134/D=egroup
> web/S=17050419
> 92:HM/A=1455157/R=0/SIG=14celrbvs/*http:/www.qksrv.net/click-1
> 247917-1012418
> 8?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.genealogy.com%2Fcpc%2Ftrial14-census.ht
> ml%3Fpriority%
> 3D5000203&persist=30>
>

> <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=243107.3426472.4708766.15011
34/D=egroupmai
l/S=:HM/A=1455157/rand=732090141>

** UKHA2004 BE THERE! ** - start planning now.

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx

<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
 Terms of Service.