Re: Idratek Cortex

Hi,

Let's not forget that Idratek are a small start-up without access to the
re=
sources of the likes of Clipsal.

They basically have one single gang faceplate moulding which they use for
a=
ll the single modules, by changing the stick-on fascia. Given the size of
t=
he company and the cost of injection moulds (=A3-five figures) this is
pret=
ty understandable at this stage in their business.=20

Yes, It's not as "pretty" as some of the funky C-Bus wallplates,
but there =
again, it's no worse than most of the standard wall-plates
builders/electri=
cians seem to use round here.

It seems that the comments about the modules have been taken on board,
sinc=
e alternate colours for the plastic are being investigated. Apparently,
onc=
e you have the mould, colour changes are relatively cheap.

They currently don't have any lighting modules of the form you might
expect=
(DIN rail or "wall-wart"). But: one of the single gang modules
includes 2 =
(network addressed) relays to support switching of light circuits (2 push
b=
uttons on the front). Another module has 2 higher current relays suitable
f=
or switching appliance loads. Both of these seem to assume you are wiring
t=
he modules in place of existing wall switches or alongside socket outlets
r=
espectively (although you could leave existing light switches and parallel
=
the Idratek module). Not forgetting the need to pull Cat5 to the
wallplates=
ala Clipsal.

Since they have an X10 gateway, you could retain your existing X10 modules
=
and control these from Idranet. The idea of the relay based modules is
that=
the switching is very fast compared to X10, so that it integrates well wit=
h a presence detect based system. The high sensitivity PIR is integrated
in=
to the large panel and is also available in single module form. Having
seen=
it in operation, I can testify that it is pretty instantaneous ! The light=
ing-oriented wallplates include some extra digital input, typically
intende=
d for door contacts to increase HA "accuracy".

They currently don't have a dimmer module. But I think it's near the top
of=
their to do list :-)  In the meantime, and if you don't need the high-spee=
d switching, you could use X10 modules (I, of course, can say this quite
ca=
sually because I have just star re-wired my upstairs lighting to central
co=
nsumer units ;-) ) .

The interesting thing behind the Idratek stuff is the bus technology and
th=
e distributed intelligence in all the modules.=20

The bus technology guarantees that at least one message gets through
despit=
e contention, without the loss of bandwidth you'd get with variable
back-of=
f ala Ethernet. Again, I saw this demonstrated: by sending out a network
br=
oadcast to request module versions, all modules try to send a response at
o=
nce and collide, but because at least one message gets through despite
cont=
ention, the display just shows the packets rattling in. The important
thing=
is that the bus is fast enough and resilient enough to allow integration o=
f all likely HA sensors, not just lighting related ones.=20=20

The distributed intelligence means that modules can take intelligent
action=
s without a central controller, such that your "basic" HA can be
done witho=
ut a central controller. The individual modules can aggregate infomation
fr=
om other sensors to make better decisions. And yes, you can read back
"stat=
us" :-).=20

Adding the "Cortex" PC gives you another layer of power and adds
the voice =
recognition/synthesis and modem/telephony stuff.

TBH I don't know enough about Clipsal C-Bus to make a fair comparison, but
=
I got the impression it was very lighting control oriented. The Idratek
ran=
ge ( which I have no doubt will grow) is intended to integrate most home
co=
ntrol stuff, that is, excluding media distribution stuff, AFAIK.

Pricing on Idratek modules is still not finalised, but once the pricing is
=
available it will be quite interesting to compare systems. As I recall, at
=
UKHA they were indicating prices in the =A340-60 area, depending on
module,=
with the large controller being around =A3150.  If you can tolerate it's l=
ooks, the large controller seems to be the bargain, since it includes most
=
of the sensors plus lighting contorl relays plus handsfree intercom /
voice=
-control plus IR RX/TX.

I personally am looking forward to seeing the pricing, since I was
intendin=
g (and cabling) to have presence detect everywhere linked in the lighting
c=
ontrol, plus zoned IR, anyway, both of which may well end up cheaper done
w=
ith the Idratek system than alternate means, let alone the other
capabiliti=
es.

And I am not so enamoured of stainless steel and blue leds (out of fashion
=
by 2010 ??)  :-)

Cheers,

David