RE: Next project

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Next project
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 00:15:51 +0100

Sorry to be late in on this thread, been a bit busy, but this is very
similar to the HCPC I tried to show at UKHA 2003, unfortunately the
piece of crap IBM hard drive in it failed :-( but it is all running now.
My comments are below.

Got this, case is excellent, VFd is OK but a bit small (only 16 x 2
characters) and I haven't got the remote working yet (however I use a
gyration mouse and keyboard so I don't really need it).

> ASUS P4C800 Deluxe motherboard

I went with an Abit NF7v2 board because I wanted an AMD chip.

> 2.8GHz hyperthreading P4 with 800MHz FSB

AMD XP2600+ here

> 1GB Corsair PC3200 CL2 RAM matched pair

I looked into this and there is really no need for so much memory for
video playback (or even so much CPU to be honest) I only have a pair of
256Mb PC2700 sticks.

> 2x 160GB Seagate Barracuda SATA disks

After replacing the piece of crap that was the IBM deskstar, I now have
a little 6Gb disk in the PC as it is only a client, all media is on
servers in node zero.

> Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro Ultima - passively cooled

I went for the 9100 as this is more than enough for DVD playback and I
never play games.

> Sone DRU-510AX DVD-RW

Snap

> Zalman 400W silent PSU

Snap

> Zalman flower CPU cooler

Snap

> Creative Audigy 2

My mobo has on board 5.1 so no need for any additional sound card.

> Hitachi CML174SXWB 17" digital TFT

My HCPC is connected directly to the plasma, so no need for a monitor.

> Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard & mouse

Gyration here (RF).

> Griffin Powermate - that's one _sexy_ knob

No knobs on mine

As others have suggested, I use myHTPC for front end software and I have
set the screen resolution to be the same as the native on the plasma, I
have downloaded PowerStrip, but with the Radeon I was able to get the
native res without powerstrip, so I don't use it.

Regards

Graham