Re: OT: Advice on Western Digital warranty

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: OT: Advice on Western Digital warranty
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 12:37:26 +0100

>You may well be right, but how much could I expect to get for
second-hand
>120Gb disks? My guess is it's not going to be a lot, and I might be
better

Well, yesterday's Today Only page at www.scan.co.uk/todayonly had the HGST
(IBM) 120GB 7200rpm drives for a measly £69 INC VAT.... (normal price is
£75
INC VAT), so probably not a lot unfortunaltely - I'd consider offering you
about £40 a go for them.....

>off keeping them to do backups (I never have figured out a satisfactory
way
>of backing up 360Gb of storage).

That'd be my suggestion! - you never get your moneys worth out of them if
you resell them 2nd hand - which is why I have an attic full of junk
^H^H^H^H upgraded computer parts... :-) If you just use them as a backup
target, then I guess you don't need them running all the time anyway? -
leave them in an array configuration in another machine, - backup your
360GB
to them, then take the array offline... then the "fault" won't be
a problem
anyway....

That's the only viable way I have found to backup such large volumes.. - I
have two machines each with 4 x 120GB-ers in for this reason...

Paul G.