Re: [OT] 2Mbit ADSL

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [OT] 2Mbit ADSL
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 10:27:26 -0000

I have to say, "reverse loadbalancing" (ie - loadbalancing of
OUTGOING connections) does feel about 3 years behind "forward
loadbalancing" (ie - loadbalancing of INCOMING connections.)

The problems that the review describes with the Cyclone are similar
to the problems we experienced with things like Arrowpoints (now
bought by Cisco and called something less memorable) back in 2000.

The gradual prevalence of sticky session switching (I kid you not -
that's what it's called) has really sorted out the performance
problems in high-throughput websites.

One thing that's STILL true for forward loadbalancers, though:

- They do a very good job balancing the performance of lots of user
accesses across multiple resources.

- They do a fairly poor job accelerating the performance of small
numbers of users.

For reverse loadbalancers, I'd expect the products to gain maturity
in the corporate space for another 12-18 months first, before they're
REALLY ready for home use.

I should, however, remind us that many UKHA_D members have home
networks as complex, if not as big, as a medium-sized corporation :-)

Regards,

Mark

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul" <p-gale@b...> wrote:
> Have a look at the review of the Cyclone 200 at ADSLguide:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2003/q2/neteyes_cyclone20
0.asp

> Appears that load balancing of common protocols can be pretty messy
and falls over a lot!

> Don't know if the Firebrick solution suffers from this as well?
> Paul.

ADSL
> lines. Once we find out the details, we might try it ourselves as we
> currently have both a 2Mb and a 512k ADSL lines from A&A and
BTOpenworld
> respectively.
>
> There was a long thread in alt.internet.providers.uk.aaisp where the
> bonding technique was discussed. The technique was tried and
implemented
> by Rev. (technically true, I was told by him!) Adrain Kennard of
A&A.

> Regards,
>
> Kwong Li
> li@l...