Re: [OT] 2Mbit ADSL

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:04:09 +0100, you wrote:

>Thanks Harry,
>

>How does unbundling work? I presume that means other telecom companies
have more access to the exchange?

Correct!

Basicaly the fight is over what is often known as "the last
mile",
the tail of cable from the customer to the local exchange.

Oftel forced BT to allow 'Other Licensed Operators" (OLOs) to be
able to take over these links, and to be able to put equipment in the
BT exchange to gather the result.

The problem is that BT have an enourmous lead in installing
equipment, stretching back to 'GPO' days, so it is horrendously
expensive for OLOs to compete.

That said, Easynet (in my biased opinion) has a lead over many
other OLOs in installing such kit.

I'm not sure where we are up to, but I believe we are not far
short of 100 exchanges that have been enabled. Realisticaly this falls
far short of what BT have done, but it is the best alternative shot
there is!

Regards,
Harry.