RE: Introductory Message and questions

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Introductory Message and questions
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:28:39 +0100

> From: Andy Day
>
> Hi
>
> My name is Andy Day, I live Hampshire v. close to the
> Hants/Surrey/Berks
> border

Welcome Andy, I also live in Hampshire.
Others have responded so I won't cover old ground, just fill in some of the
other bits :-)

Notice I intend to use his house as the
> guinea pig so any issues can be ironed out at his place
> before I tackle
> mine.

Damn fine idea if you ask me :-)

> Firstly I am looking at lighting and AV solutions for a mates
> new house,

<snip>

> Having seen the Clipsal presentation at the meet and the
> recent postings
> to this list C-Bus looks to be the way ahead on the lighting front,

You might also want to look at the Polaron lighting system - like Clipsal,
it's a "proper" professional-quality system. The downside with
both systems is that they involve a reasonable cash outlay. At least one
member on the list has installed Polaron at his place.
Polaron can be integrated with the QED multiroom audio system, to the
extent that the two controls can exist on the *same* faceplate.
http://www.polaron-group.co.uk/controls/custominst.html

> 1.	Have a separate amp in the loft (Node 0) for each room.

Be careful what & how you put things in the loft. Attics can experience
large changes in temperature both daily and through the year. Large
variations in temperature usually don't spell good news for sensitive
electronic equipment - likewise dust & dirt is also an issue to
consider. That said, a number of people on the list *have* located
equipment in their lofts.

> One last thing, what are the best up to date books on HA, any good
> recommendations?

A good guide to the IEE 16th Edition of the wiring regs would be about the
only book I'd recommend. This one was posted a short while ago (thanks
James):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0852969295/markmccall

As for other books ? This list is probably the best resource you'll find
(that and a connection to www.google.com / .co.uk)

>  I look forward to complete brain overload.

If it's just your brain then think yourself lucky - you need to lock up
your wallet too !

> Thanks and sorry again for so many questions all at once.
>
> Andy

No worries,

Tim H.

+