RE: Anyone using the 'Avstar' AV networking system?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Anyone using the 'Avstar' AV networking system?
  • From: "Des Gibbons" <des@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:12:00 +0100

Hi Martin,

As that system uses composite video, you can forget about getting a decent
picture on a TV screen.

The minimum for usability is generally agreed as being s-video, but
personally I find S-video woeful.

What you need to do to get around the limitations of displaying your PC
image on a TV is modify your PC to display images which are TV suitable.

At 800x600 or thereabouts, normal text is unreadable. You can mess about
with point sizes, but you will find it will make the system look very
strange indeed.

There are packages out there that you can run which will allow you to run
DVD's and MP3's with a TV friendly front end.

As I tried all this years ago, I have forgotten all the names, and I am
sure
there are better alternatives now which someone will come along shortly and
remind me ;)

If you do a google for HTPC front end software, you might get an idea.

Cheers, Des.