RE: LCD/DLP projectors

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: LCD/DLP projectors
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 08:22:01 +0100

> I think the HS10 noise is significantly louder than many other models,
the
> cheap and cheerful Panasonic AE100 is much quieter, and at the other
end
> of
> the scale the Yam lpx500 is also much quieter.

Really David? I thought that the Sony was really no more noisy than the
AE100 and both have sat right above my head!

> The other downside of the hs10 is the poor rendition of black, they
are
> either pink or blue tinged. This can be solved by using a 3rd party
lens
> filter and careful calibration, but the downside of this is that the
> brightness is significantly reduced by this process..

Personally, I don't find that at all, in fact I'd say the blacks were
better
than the AE100 but that's not the point, the lack of screendoor and the
pure
smoothness of the image makes it worthwhile. And although I've not tried
it,
due to the fact I don't like the idea, an HTPC connected via the DVI is
supposed to produce stunning results.

> However, if you are using the pj in a dedicated room, with full light
> control and are able to supress the noise and can be bothered to
calibrate
> it, then yes it is probably the best picture up to 4k.

I do use it in a dedicated room I will confess and blacking the room out,
as
with ANY PJ IMHO, is the only way to go. My advice is that if you cannot
get
a very dark room, don't buy a PJ!

> On the other hand, if you want something to be used as more of a tv
> replacement then there are better optiions.

This is kind of misleading if you ask me and, it's only my opinion mind, a
PJ (any PJ) is *not* a replacement for CRT as they lack the sheer
convenience that a CRT or even a plasma has. This is most evident when you
ask SWMBO to try and use it, mine won't even touch the thing when I'm not
about even though it's a case of pressing one or two buttons on a Pronto to
use it, so she has her own TV.

Me, I'll stick with the PJ thanks in my own little room. ;)

K.