Re: Re: Cat5e/Cat6 100/350Mhz LS0H/PVC - comments please...

At 17:22 03/06/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Who knows what killer app/hardware will come along in 3 or 4 years time
>that needs higher bandwidth, and I bet that it'd work out roughly the
>same to install it now against to rip out the cheaper cat5e now and
>installing cat6 when it's the same price as cat5e.

The trouble is what will the future app need...recently optical was the
next upgrade and now that has died away. The other additional cost is that
in theory you must use cat6 patch panels and cat6 rj45 wall sockets.

As others have said an alternative is to use cheap cat5e and spend the
extra on having larger conduits / floor access that would allow you to pull
different cables in the future. This isn't straightforward, but would be
worth doing for a least one place in each room back to node0. Probably not
practical for every socket + light fitting!!

Martin