RE: Momentary switches

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Momentary switches
  • From: "Paul" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:16:37 +0100

A momentary switch is one that only makes contact for as long as you
push/pull or otherwise interact with it. The dimmer switch that you mention
won't be momentary - push and it makes contact (permanently) until you push
it again and it breaks contact - a toggle action.

Momentary switches aren't too common as the vast majority of lighting
systems don't operate in this way. You tend to find these switches being
used for 'bell push' or other signaling applications, which is why a lot of
them to be found in electrical wholesalers have 'push' or pictures of bells
on them! They tend to have a high push resistance (i.e. stiff) in my
experience.

Two makes that are widely used in HA are the type Clipsal and Wandsworth
make.

I have the Wandsworth make all around my house. IMO they're far more
aesthetic that the plastic clipsal ones and come in a huge range of
finishes (I have the solid metal brushed aluminium type). Pics on the Yahoo
group pics page or on my HA pics website:

http://www.siliconpixel.com/Gallery/HomeAutomation

(in the crown mic album)

Paul.