Re: Cat5e/Cat6 100/350Mhz LS0H/PVC - comments please...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cat5e/Cat6 100/350Mhz LS0H/PVC - comments please...
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:35:15 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@s...> wrote:

> Who knows what killer app/hardware will come along in 3 or 4 years
time
> that needs higher bandwidth, and I bet that it'd work out roughly
the
> same to install it now against to rip out the cheaper cat5e now and
> installing cat6 when it's the same price as cat5e.

As Mark said, install ducting and pull strings for future re-wiring.
I find it very hard to believe that Cat5e is going to be replaced on
any sort of large scale for very many years to come. There is quite
simply far too big an installed base in the corporate world for
massive replacement to ever happen. I would expect that *if* there is
a need for Cat6/7 in future it will be for 'trunk cabling' between
hubs and switches and so on rather than to clients. Infact, it
wouldn't surprise me if the planned increases in wireless technology
don't end up replacing wiring to the desk completely rather than
there ever being a rewiring exercise.