Re: Cat5e/Cat6 100/350Mhz LS0H/PVC - comments please...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cat5e/Cat6 100/350Mhz LS0H/PVC - comments please...
  • From: "Graham Howe" <graham@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:11:51 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul" <groups@s...> wrote:
> Who was it who said you'll never need more than x amount of
memory?  ;)

True, but of course if you had spent thousands on loads of memory a
few years ago then it would be useless now ;)

Cat6 *may* be a ratified standard now, but I'm not completely sure.
Cat7 isn't as far as I know, so who says it will even be adopted
elsewhere? If anyone really wants to 'future proof' with network
wiring then they should put in fibre optic (never any cross talk with
that) but again it is massive overkill for the domestic environment
and massive expense compared with Cat5.

If I had the money to spend on Cat6/7 I would still buy Cat5 and
spend the savings on better switches/nics, professional installation
or other toys.

Remember as well that the wiring will stay behind when you move (and
add no value), your equipment can come with you.