Re: Cat5e/Cat6 100/350Mhz LS0H/PVC - comments please...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cat5e/Cat6 100/350Mhz LS0H/PVC - comments please...
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 16:10:09 -0000

It's my view that you need two things:

- The most cost-effective cabling that meets your requirements for
the next 12 months

- Ducting space with "pull strings" so you can run whatever other
kind of cable you need in the future.

I would be very surprised if, in a domestic situation, there would be
much need for greater than Gigabit ethernet in the next 12 months. A
properly-installed CAT5e should support 1000-BaseT fine (Gig ethernet
over twisted pair.)

Personally, most of my home network runs at 10Mb/sec, I haven't even
moved stuff to 100Mb/sec, let alone 1Gb.

The bottleneck is the ADSL, and 20 times as fast as the ADSL is fine,
I don't need an internal LAN that runs at 200 times or 2000 times as
fast!

Regards,

Mark

<rob_barrow@h...>
wrote:
> > > I was just about to order my cable and hesitated over the
choice
> > between a good Cat5e and a Cat6 based system.
> > >

> > Cat5e can do gigabit, there is no real reason to go with Cat6
> >

> > > I'm guessing that because I'm cabling a house I should go
for
the