Re: Re: Another Newbie !!

mhctaylor wrote:

> On Cbus it depends how much more wiring I need - if its Cat5 then I
> could probably run that from node 0 to light switch easily enough.

You can either star wire cat 5 from node 0 to each cbus switch, or bus
wire from one switch onto the next switch, or a combination of both. For
cbus the switches *only* require cat5, no electrical cables at all, but
if you're thinking about selling up at some point in the future and
putting "back to normal" you'd be looking to install standard
wiring as
well.

> the other thing about the Cbus clipsal type stuff is I havent been
> able to work out exactly what I would need and therefore be able to
> do a cost comparison. If they give me everything I need on a course
> then maybe thats the way but then what about when I want to o more to
> the house.............head spinning again. Can someone give me an
> idea of Cbus clipsal type costs?

On the first £400 course you will get

4 channel 2A per channel dimmer pack trade price £330
PC Interface trade £225
4 gang switch - either a £54 one or a £95 Neo one (Geoff from Clipsal
said it depends what they have a bunch of stock of)

Which makes the course very good value for money.

After that, depending on how many rooms and how many individually
controllable lights, and the current draw through each light, you're
looking at additional 8 channel 1A per channel dimmers at £320 trade and
additional switches at around £50 - £100 trade, depending on which ones
you go for.

If you want to have a standard 100W light fitting in 8 rooms in your
house, then one 8 channel dimmer pack should do the whole house. If
however you want 20 individually controllable downlighters in every
room, then you're looking at 2 1/2 8 channel dimmer packs per room.

Paul Robinson kindly put the trade price scans up the other day
http://www.cueman.co.uk/cbus/

Remember that you have options...... eg you need dimmer packs to control
the loads (ie the lights) but you don't necessarily need any switches at
all, you might want PIRs, or to do things via the PC etc (eg with Kevin
Hawkins' xAP -> C-Bus gateway)

HTH

--
Doogie