FW: Re: Newbie - controlling lights and creating scenes (Ocelot?)

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FW: Re: Newbie - controlling lights and creating scenes (Ocelot?)
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 11:12:56 +0100

Long debate on this one Helen as you will have seen.

No I wouldn't call X10 amateurish, but I wouldn't call it professional
either. It's an 'end user residential' product aimed at providing
HomeAutomation control at a great price point with good features, a large
established base, fantastically easy to retrofit and with good software and
hardware controllers available, By any comparison that's an amazing
achievement - it has served me well for many years but I have now moved
house and have taken the time to revisit my expectations. I would say that
my requirements and expectations have moved on a little and as this
property
has some problematic retrofit issues I have taken the opportunity to choose
my solution. I use X10 still, partly due to retrofit cabling issues in some
areas with C-Bus, which is my chosen lighting system, and partly as C-Bus
can't accomplish some of the things that X10 can. Plus my HA controllers
(HomeVision / HomeSeer /ACE) work transparently with X10. I would actually
recommend X10 to all new HA'ers - the modules will always remain useful and
you learn so much about what you can expect to achieve with HA in a rapid
and non disruptive way. Buy a few and play.

I am not involved commercially at all with C-Bus, it was just my
choice . It occupies the middle ground (pricewise) above X10 and below say
Lutron, it provides the features I want - with the accessibility I need
(via
xAP). The issues that I have had with X10 are resolved by C-Bus .

C-Bus comes at a price that although I wish it was lower is acceptable. The
dimmer modules compare quite favourably against X10 DIN modules, in reality
the extra cost of C-Bus comes mainly from the increased cost of light
switches and the need for a computer RS232 interface, pllus you need to
cable of course.

I can't really offer anything except my personal opinion on
C-Bus (& X10) but there are others on this list who use Polaron, Lutron
etc
who can offer their own take on this. You need to take a look at these
systems in operation and the cosmetics of the various switches etc along
with the price of the final installtion. You also need to decide just what
your needs and expectations are from the system you choose - which I know
is
an almost impossible task when you're just starting in this field - but
therein lies the fun.

Kevin