Re: [OT ish] MV1000's Dataprotection and being fined!

steve.cooper@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Section 36 of the Act states:
>
> Domestic Purposes:
>
> "Personal data processed by an individual only for the purposes
of that
> individual's personal, family or household affairs (including
recreational
> purposes) are exempt from the data protection principles and the
provisions
> of Parts II and III."

Yep, and with the exception of my disagreement on exemption from the
principles of the act, that's a somewhat more concise way of putting
what I've said. [For those of you sad enough to have a copy of the act,
page 24]

I think the important difference between the strict wording and the way
I described it was that I was thinking about extended use of the cctv
footage. If placed on a non-secured website, you are publishing the data
and moving away from the exemption for "the purposes of that
individual's personal, family or household affairs (including
recreational purposes)". Bearing that in mind, the wording on
challenger.co.uk website is utter cobblers. They also claim you can
notify by web or phone, which you can't :-)