RE: Dimming Low Voltage lights

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Dimming Low Voltage lights
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 11:06:38 +0100

Rob,

I've found your transformers on the 'net, here: http://www.domusline.com/home.htm
scroll down to transformers & Set70 - do yours look like this ?
The blurb does say "electronic" but doesn't say
"dimmable". I've been sorting through some old Selfbuild messages
and they seemed to indicate that the transformer should be both
"electronic" *and* "dimmable". Sorry if I mislead you
with my earlier post.

As for "suck it & see"  - I'd be inclined to at least email
the manufacturer regarding dimming before trying (mailto:sales@xxxxxxx). I had assumed you'd
bought the lights and transformers separately - rather than in a set. It is
more hassle to change them then. You can buy just the Varilight
transformers without lamps from B&Q, TLC etc.

The old advice was to use one transformer per light. This can work out to
be supremely expensive. The driver was, IIRC, that if 1 t/f feeds many
lamps, and 1 lamp blows, the remainder are subjected to a higher voltage
and wear out more quickly. It's mitigated somewhat by better regulation in
the electronic transformers, and by keeping spare bulbs and replacing
immediately when one blows. I'd use both transformers if it were me (since
you already have them anyway) - what's the combined load of the lights ?

Not a definitive answer, but hopefully a bit more to go on.

Cheers,

Tim H.