RE: [OT] Poor Sky Digital Reception

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Poor Sky Digital Reception
  • From: "Crick, Steve (UK)" <steve.crick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:12:06 +0100

It was me.

On Friday I:

Changed the cable - No change.
Changed the LNB - No change.
Realigned the dish - No change.

Sunday - It got better all of its own accord. This is in line with MANY
thr=
eads on digitalspy.co.uk. I have been following this problem on that
forum,=
and many people have also seen this. It is all down to the move by the BBC=
>from
a tighter UK footprint, but is a lower power transmission (and susceptible
=
to skew problems) so shows up mis-aligned dish installations.

The assumption was that the BBC have 'turned up the wick' because of all
of=
the complaints they have had over the last week.

A good test I found, was not to rely on the Services - 4 - 6 signal test,
a=
s this is not looking at the 2D bird.

To check the signal on the BBC transponder itself do this: Services 4 - 0
-=
1 - Select (within 5 seconds to access the engineer menu). Select Manual t=
uning. Enter 10.773 - H - 22.0 5/6 (all from memory, but I am 90% sure
that=
is it). This then gives the signal strength and quality level for the BBC =
channels.

By using this, I can see a huge difference between the 'standard' strength
=
meter, and the 'BBC' one.

But all said and done, my (BBC) reception cleared up over the weekend all
b=
y itself. I still cant get FTN and Game Network, but I never could.

Hope this helps - Steve