Re: HomeBrain

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: HomeBrain
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 13:30:15 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Frank Mc Alinden" <fmcalind@b...>
wrote:
> Hi All
>         Can someone (David i suppose) give us a quick rundown of
the features of HomeBrain...expected costing etc......For those of us
who were not at the meet....

Not at the meet - shirley not :-)

I dont really want to put a huge amount of info in publicly
accessible places yet, call me cagey, but I'm a tad concerned another
organisation with loads more money and time than I have could nick a
subset of the featureset and deliver something less good but sooner.

However, a partial feature set reads something like a standalone box
controller, in alarm panel type box, doesnt need or benefit from 24hr
PC to help it, open architecture (ie code your own drivers and
install them), strong on networking, with lots of serial ports and
native TCP, out of box support (though maybe not for all of this
stuff at first ship) for C-Bus, EIB, xAP/xPL, X10 (but X10 support
isnt anything like as good as HV), proper scripting language,
supports multiple simultaneously executing scripts, direct support
for GSM modem for SMS alerting and control, web inteface, yada yada
yada...

In terms of when - I'm one PCB revision away from the hardware being
done, and the software is "progressing".  I'm hoping for first
ship
tail end of July, but you know what happens to dates.  Price is
estimated at one million pounds.

Oops - too much Austin Powers.  Price guess is somewhat more than a HV
(500) but less than an HVpro(995).

David