RE: FirM

Frank Mc Alinden [mailto:fmcalind@xxxxxxx] wrote:
> Would like to ask a few questions regarding FirM...At the moment i
have
> 3 units left and im wondering if im wasting my time in the near future
> ordering pcbs...

I think you've got a very good product, that should sell well to existing
homevision users.  I'd advertise in those groups or with companies that
sel=
homevision to get more sales.  I did have a look at homevision myself and
assuming I understood all its features correctly it doesn't do what I want.
To me your zoned IR (FIRM) seems a lot more useful than being able to
interface things to my TV (Homevision).

I've got a 4 bed house, with one of Nigels IR circuits allowing control of
the stuff in the lounge from the master bedroom.  A blaster is in the
loung=
on one of my rear speakers, and a reciever in the bedroom all connected via
Cat 5.  I'm planning on adding a reciever circuit in the conservatory, and
the office.  I also want to be able to inject IR signals onto Nigels bus
vi=
my PC, not that I have a usefull reason for wanting to do that yet.  Maybe
I'll use it to make sure all the kit in the house is off at night or
something.  I've been talking with Ian who made up the PCBs for Nigels
circuit about the PC bit, and also plan to have a play with Dans software.

One thing nigels stuff won't allow is zoned IR control, so in the future
when I install a Sony TV in the bedroom I will be stuffed.  Thats because
SWMBO will change the TV channel in the bedroom and Nigels circuit will
change the channel in the lounge.  At this stage I'd need something like
FIRM and the PC interface.

I've got a Pronto and that cost be 150 quid, I love it and will probably
en=
up buying a second one for the bedroom.  I think your price =A3110 ($275
Au=
s)
is very resonable for the FIRM controller.=20=20

On top of this I guess there would be:-
* Postage
* The PC controller
* A serial port card (My dell only has one and thats occupied).  If it
worked with USB I guess that would help a lot of people out, but then how
expensive is a serial card.

For me IR control is one of the most important aspects of my home
automation.  Since most things can be controlled via IR these days you
coul=
automate just about anything.  Even with the PC kit, I still don't know how
many people you'd be able to sell it to.  How many people have Cat5 or
similar routed round the house to support this sort of kit?  How many
peopl=
out there ever got Nigels circuits going?  I don't know.  When I get a
digital camera and some time I itend putting up some tutorials etc on some
of the stuff I've built like Nigels circuits.

Some people have mentioned that your website could be better.  I know who
you are and the background to your project so the website is fine for me.
But to sell a product to other people outside of this list a more polished
site could help.  If I was buying FIRM, I'd prefer it assembled, with the
P=
Kit, and Dans software already to go.  If not a turorial on how to assemble
the PC bit and configure the software.

Rob

--=20
______   __   _   ______   ______=20
/ ___   / /  /  / __    / _____ HOME: rob@xxxxxxx
/ /  /_/ / /__/ / / /__/ / / /__    http://www.kaosuk.co.uk/
/ /  __  / ___  / / ___  /  \__  \            ----          =
=20
/ /__/ / / /  / / / /  / / _____/ / Rob Chasmer, MMT Computing
______/ _/  /_/ _/  /_/ ______/ robert.chasmer@xxxxxxx
=20
If you have received this email in error please let us know by e-mail reply
and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose
its contents to anyone.  Please note that any views or opinions presented
i=
this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of MMT Computing plc.  Finally, the recipient should check this email
and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  MMT Computing plc accepts
no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.=
=20