Tivo Extraction to DVD - Good News and Bad News

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Tivo Extraction to DVD - Good News and Bad News
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 20:16:30 +0100

Jdiner has released a new version of TyTool (v7 RC1) which allows you to
extract a .ty stream, edit it, turn it into a .vob, create a basic DVD
menu screen and then output a fully working DVD folder structure for
burning to DVD. All without re-encoding i.e. it's fast

The good news is it works! I've only done minimal testing but burnt a
couple of DVDs and Audio sync works, the menu works (albeit I've only
tried a single file). It has been tested on the following DVD players
and worked fine:

Apex 600a
Apex 1100w
Apex 1200
Apex 1201
Mintek 1600
Panasonic S35
JVC N30
JVC N40
JVC N50
JVC N55

I've tried the resultant DVD on all my PCs using PowerDVD and they play
fine

The bad news is:

The DVDs won't play properly on either my xbox or Panasonic 525. The
Panasonic was expected as virtually all other tools have failed but the
xbox is a major disappointment. However, the intermediate .vob file
created during the process plays fine within xbmp from a file share so
all is not lost :-)

The link is:
http://tinyurl.com/csdw

and the zip file containing all the required utilities is on the 2nd
page towards the bottom. There is currently a bug which doesn't handle
spaces in the file names but he is posting a fix to this later tonight.
If you are impatient, just rename you extracted .ty file to a filename
with no spaces,

Give it a whirl but remember that this is still beta code. I'd be
interested to know how others get on.

Cheers
Don