Re: CBUS then?....

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: CBUS then?....
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:25:19 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <mark@a...> wrote:
> > > Is there a working HomeVision-xAP gateway yet Patrick?
> > >
> > It's imminent! Watch this space...
>
> Cool. Can you give me some info on how it will work?  It would be
nice if
> "C-Bus" was just another option in the Devices menu in the
HV
software
> (meybe someday).  I assume your software will need HV macros to
send serial
> commands?

Remember that xAP isn't device specific as such. HV will be able to
act on *any* xAP message that arrives, and generate a xAP message
towards *any* xAP enabled device.

I'm currently working on three interface points - either via:

- the Homevision PC software for those that leave it connected to a
control PC 24x7, via a Linux or Windows controller (e.g. xAP-in-a-box)

- the xAP diskless ITX based controller, or any other server not
running the HV control software)

- or, for those that use the HV standalone, via my Rabbit board
connected to the HV serial port and plugged into the home network.

All offer more or less identical functionality, not surprising given
the common code base.

The xAP connector has two modes of operation:

- It can intelligently map events reported by HV to xAP messages and
intelligently map xAP messages in HV commands, without the need for
any extra work.

- The end user can generate xAP messages explicitly from a macro, or
arrange for a macro to be invoked based on a given xAP message.

The long winded explanation makes it all sound a lot more complex
than it is in practice... Basically it is very flexible, very
powerful and, hopefully, very easy to use.

Patrick