From: Nigel Giddings [mailto:nigel.giddings@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 26 May 2003 09:07
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Gate automation

Paul,

I have been helping my neighbour with his gates over the past few weeks
and
have learnt a lot. Although the units appear expensive there is quite a
lot
to them...

The main unit uses 230v, so a normal cable 1.5mm armoured or similar.
The controls tend to work on closing or opening contacts, the whole unit
is
24vdc, alarm wire appears ideal.
If you mount all controls in the house you will need:
power cable for the gates, 24vdc high current (2.5mm at least), one for
each
gate
4 wire for radio receiver
4 wire for ir break detector (stops gates closing when car or other is
between them)
4 wire plus plus for keypad, intercom, bell push etc.

It seems normal to mount controls locally to the gates. I also used steel
conduit to motors, detectors etc. I thought it was worth the effort.

If you do mount the control box outside don't under estimate the space
needed, he has a box 30" x 18" which is tight with his setup.

HTH Nigel