Getting Started with PICs

I've seen numerous posts since joining this and other groups that suggests
all manner of smart things are possible if only you can programme your own
PICs!.

Now I have a project in mind - I would like to control a LCD, a few LEDs
(say up to 4) and recieve input from up to 8 buttons. (possibly a DS1820
aswell) And control the whole lot with a single Cat5 via RS232. I'm
guessing
my requirements are therefore: a UART and Enough I/O for LCD(8?) + LEDs +
Buttons. The LCD would have a basic menu structure which I'm hoping would
be
in the PIC rather than the Host Computer.

I can programme the basics(!) in Basic (and have dabbled in C in the past)
but assembler (despite 1 project on a BBC-B upwards of 15 years ago)
remains
a mystery. I assume LCDs are well supported by libraries for the common PIC
so I wont have to reinvent the wheel ?

Despite much googling I still remain a little baffled by the myriad of
possibilities. I've no doubt there is no "correct" answer but
what would
peoples opinions be on a suitable way to get started and what are the
likely
costs ?

Thanks

Dean