Re: Local control of x10 modules

Hi Ian,

> Just as a note on english usage, that's a rather hostile way of
phrasing
> that Dan, I'm assuming you don't mean anything confrontational, but it
would
> be better to say something like "that method isn't good
enough".
Sorry for my english,, it is not my native language...
What I want to say is that for me, this solution is unacceptable.
There is no in my intention to be hostile...Please escuse me if you
understand it in that way...

> Yes. Buy an LD11, and wire it up in a small electrical box (there are
plenty
> help files available online as to how to do this). This provides far
greater
> features than you would get from a lamp module, even when modded.
(like
> turning on at a preset dim level)
This can be an option, but I still want to search for a way to modify my
module.

> The lamp modules are some of the crappiest manufacture you will ever
find:
> they are produced at precisely the same quality point as 2 quid radios
and
> children's electronic toys. I tried modding some of the US ones to
operate
> at 240v, and was so unconvinced about the safety of the modules that I
> simply wouldn't trust them to work without me standing over the
switch.
My LM12 does not work anymore when the mains power is under 220V (which by
the way is the standard here).. and this can happen from time to time.

> Modifying a mains appliance is not to be taken lightly at the best of
times,
> and there is a considerable amount of variation in the internal wiring
of
> these modules. I have seen at least three different PCB versions
inside
the
> modules I have here, as well as variation in the actual components
used.
> These modules are not built to a pattern as much as thrown together
with
> what's in the bucket, then tuned to be "kinda" right. Phil
was talking
about
> the work done on the X10 curtain controller, which improved enormously
(an
> order of magnitude if I remember correctly) on the production X10
modules.

> Remember, these devices do not have a "proper" power supply:
they bleed
> power from the mains through an X-rated Capacitor, and the entire
circuit
is
> at mains potential.
I know this...

> It's an absolutely horrific circuit, and one very prone
> to problems. Without a complete and accurate circuit diagram, how are
you
> know that the specific module you have won't try to draw too much
power
and
> blow the cap if local control is enabled?
I have the circuit diagram for my module, but .. still not able to do it...

> or, whether the switch for local
> control could become live?
Do not forget that a normal switch (without the X10 module) is still alive
in terms of mains power.
So this must not be an issue

> There are great areas to experiment with HA, but one that will kill
you in
> millisecond if you make a mistake is, in my opinion, not one of
them...
I have some experience with much higher voltage (TV HV).. This my
bacground,
so I know how to handle this issue..:-)

Best regards,
Dan