Re: Network Frustration - Help Please!

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Network Frustration - Help Please!
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 10:21:31 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Julian Stuhler"
<julian.stuhler@t...>
wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I need some help from the networking experts out there, please!
>
> On Friday I moved my HA PC from the utility room to the loft to
join the
> new MV1000. This meant installing another Ethernet switch in the
loft
> but since then the network has been frustratingly unreliable - I'll
have
> full connectivity for maybe 5 minutes, then nothing until I unplug
the
> loft Ethernet switch and plug it in again, at which point everything
> seems to be fine for another few minutes. At the point everything
goes
> wrong, the activity lights for the connections between the three
> subs/switches go frantic and stay that way until the reset is
performed.

> I even went out yesterday and purchased a new switch, with exactly
the
> same results. I have an Ethernet connection tester, and everything
seems
> to be fine from a physical connectivity point of view.

You need to divide and conquer. If the switch has nothing connected
to it in the loft, do you still see this behaviour? If not, try
adding one device at a time until you detect the "faulty" device.
This may provide further insight.
One possibility is that you have a duplicated IP address on your
network, although I'd expect that to manifest itself through random
broken connections rather than huge bursts of activity.

Patrick