Re: Floor lighting effects at Eurovision

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Floor lighting effects at Eurovision
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 22:29:33 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Keith Doxey" <ukha@d...> wrote:
> LED Video walls are SERIOUSLY bright.
>
> I stood in front of a 600 mm square panel at the PLASA show a
couple
> of years ago and I cast a shadow on the wall about 2 metres behind
> me. They are the type of screens used in sports stadiums in broad
> daylight and are perfectly legible. They have to be huge though
> because the pixel size is about 8mm as that it about the smallest
> space they can cram 3 high brightness LED's into. They are usually
> only VGA resolution but from the typical viewing distance of tens
of
> metres they appear to give a good quality display.

Many years ago I went to a company to see a box that transferred data
over viewdata, our interest being in distributing program updates to
hundreds of PCs throught the UK.

This company also did some other things, including the LED signs that
are all over London underground, and most impressive, those big signs
like you see lots of along every big street in the USA.  They use 60w
reflector lamps like you use in downlighters.  So if you have a
display board several feet long by a few feet high, it has a lot (as
in hundreds) of bulbs, and runs off three phase juice.

To stand in front of one of these is a "warming" experience...