Re: Cable Marking and Separation

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Cable Marking and Separation
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 13:58:57 -0000

Hi Mick

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mick Furlong" <hiltoneltd@y...>
wrote:
> Thanks Keith, lots of good advice as always:)
>
> I think you answered just about everything but can you just clarify
a couple
> of points...
>
> on the coax and speaker cable...do these need to be kept away from
other low
> voltage or just from mains?

Just steer clear of mains wherever possible

> Is mains hum likley on the speaker cables if they only cross mains
at right
> angles?

Hum is unlikely at all. Speakers are balanced as well. what goes up
the + wire comes back down the - wire. also they are very low
impedance, typically 8ohms so it would take a very strong magnetic
field to induce anything into the speakers

> Would putting foil around bundles in areas of high concentration
cause a
> problem by picking up stray EM signals like an ariel? It is quite
easy to do
> before we slab the place out so I don't mind wrapping some turkey
foil
> around the place if it will do any good but I don't want to make
things
> worse;)

I dont think it would make things worse, but I also dont think it
would make anything better either. What is would do is give a large
area of live metal if any cables were damaged and came into contact
with it.

> I guess I have uses for maybe 30% of the cables run so far at peak
usage so
> I will think about slapping in a few more.
>
> Forty runs done this morning ...better get back to the grindstone;)
>
> Cheers for the help

No problem.

Keith