Re: Homebrain & Idratek

Hi,

The Idratek guys expect their website to be up within a fortnight. Until
then they are trying to pull together some documentation for requests via
the email.

In the meantime, and as I recall, the Idratek system is based around a CAN
derived bus system, carrying some kind of packet format at around 30kbps.
The network allows fairly loose topologies (typically daisy chained bus
rather than star), and whilst they recommend shielded CAT5, they demo'd
using 6-core alarm cable. The physical layer is designed for maximum
resilience.

They have a bunch of single wall box based modules, featuring things like
switches, relays, IR TX/RX, proximity sensors, RS232 interface and X10
gateway in a mixture of configurations that I can't remember, plus a larger
panel which has all the above, more buttons and handsfree speakerphone
(intercom) functionality. The 6-core carries analogue audio, power and
network.

All modules have a degree of programmable intelligence, allowing the module
to respond to it's local events (ie switch, IR RX etc) and also received
packets. They can take simple actions on the basis of this, eg generate
packet, switch relay. This programming is configured using some PC
software, and can then run autonomously as long as there is power down the
6-core (they termed this "reflex" functionality). They have an
optional 4-leg battery backed power supply, which makes allows the system
to be used for burglar alarm type functions.

The large panels are also optional I believe (hopefully, since they are a
bit "70's"). I am not sure whether the system complies to the
relevant standard to operate as an alarm system, they knew the standard so
I got the impression they were seeking certification.

One big omission is that they don't have a dimmer yet. This seems to be at
the head of their to do list. You could frig it with an X10 dimmer whilst
waiting ...

The wall units are a dark grey moulded plastic with a light grey centre
face insert. Although personally I thought they were quite smart, I think
even I might balk at having them all over the place. Apparently changing
the plastic colour would be relatively easy, I got the impression they were
considering providing some alternate colours.

They also have PC software "Cortex", which is required to
initially configure the network and can then add an additional level of
intelligence over the reflex behaviour. The PC can offer voice synthesis
capability onto the audio bus to allow voice menu type walkthrough
functionality. Written in Delphi, no open plug-in capability, not the
prettiest UI stuff, but seems to function. Hopefully they will allow some
kind of demo download.

I think they have been very busy to get to were they are, there are some
open issues and areas that need to be developed or resolved, particularly
in how additional kit can be integrated or how alternate software could be
substituted.

In discussions it appeared they were willing to document at least the
packet protocol, it may be that they will document the physical layer too.
They were very receptive to ideas, it will be interesting to see which they
commit to.

They have ideas for further additions to the range of modules, and had even
more after UKHA :-). I think they may have been unaware of how much extra
stuff is going on beyond lights and appliance switching. They mentioned a
telephony interface as soemthing they were investigating.

I did get an offer to visit a house fitted with the system, so I may take
that up and report back.

A little bit more software development and it could be a cracking system !

If I get the right answers to certain questions I'll be trying it out  :-)

Cheers,

David