Re: Re: UKHA2003 - key learnings?

> Agreed...but that "core group" need to pre-book at the
earliest possible
> time.

I don't think you'd be running much of a risk just by assuming that the
core
(or most of the core anyway) will go, prebooked or no.....

> > equally, it is not just a few blokes down the pub....
>
> And there in lies the dilemma.  Plenty of people liked it because it
had lots
> more stuff this year..but at then end of the day (or Saturday night at
> least) it *WAS* just a few blokes down the pub.

LOL, well yeah, Saturday night, we did have one or two small sherries, but
don't think that in any way was reflected in the event itself - which was
actually more formal/professional than I was expecting - so the event
itself,
for me, was NOT just a few blokes down the pub having a laugh and pawing a
few
gadgets (though of course this did happen too).  Hell, even Ken held off
drinking until after 12! :)

> If we decide to formalise the event, have commercial sponsorship etc,
it
> will be a totally different type of event.

In what way?  Yes when it _is_ the size of the Ideal Home exhibition, but
surely not at the sort of size it's at now?

> them. - Being at the bleeding-edge of HA, companies are interested to
see
> what we are doing. Companies will visit our meet for ideas, contacts
R&D,
> marketing, all sorts of reasons.

Indeed, and that may be enough to persuade them to make a little investment
in
the event.  Okay, they are paying to get there and have their people man
the
stands for a couple of days, but another few hundred quid on top (depending
on
the size of the company obviously - you couldn't charge Indigo Electroncis
that
sort of money (wait till Keith is rich off the back of the switcher!) - is
hardly going to be noticable...they would probably pay more to do market
research.

> > never have found details of the meeting.
> > IMO it really needs to have a prominent position on the site at
least 3
> > months prior to the event
>
> BLIND MAN! The UKHA2003 details were a "Sticky Story" that
stayed at the top
> of the front page for about 3 months!
[..]
> It was removed 7 days before as all the welcome packs had gone out and

Well guess when _I_ was looking then?  In the week before so I could decide
which presentations I wanted to go to etc!!! :)

> I can see us returning to Hatfield..with at least two of the big
rooms.

I was a bit hesitant about this choice of venue, but I have to say that it
did
the job fine and was easy enough to get to.  We would definitely need 2 big
rooms next to each other - oh and they would have to train their bar staff
get the finger out when serving!

> TBH the retailers get very little from the list...never mind the 10%
or so
> that might turn up to a meet.

They get advertising though - especially as the event becomes more
prominent.
How did it get into Computer Shopper?  Perhaps we should look at ways to
get it
mentioned in more prominent places next year.....

> All constructive comments appreciated   And by way of a thank you
here's that
> URL again for anyone that missed it...
> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/london2003/images/slides/DSC00154.html

SLAAAAGGGGG! :-D

> LOL - believe me...if I WAS the GODFATHER of UKHA you'd have had a
horses
> head in your bed by now!

ROFL - rather that than the nad-zapper :)

T.