Re: [OT] Any AOL users?

UKHA wrote:
> Richard,
>

>>AOL will not accept mails from any server connecting from an IP
they have
>>identified as being dynamic. This is because most of the time that
people
>>on
>

> I've monitored the 'conversation' between the 2 servers and the mail
is being accepted... Does this mean that AOL are simply trashing it after
accepting it?

It's nowhere near as simple as AOL rejecting mail from dynamic hosts. I
have a hell of a time getting email through to clients using AOL and
usually end up resorting to that old thing in the corner. You know, lets
you communicate in real time, but it isn't IRC...

>>dynamics send its because someone has answered yes to one of those
>>active-x
>>components that promises to make money from home, and they are
spamming.

>>A lot of ISPs use the same list for weighting in there spam
filtering as
>>well,
>>so if you are on a dynamic, it would pay to relay via your ISPs
smtp
>>server.
>

> Since I use demon, and they have horrendous problems with server
overload atm, that's not workable :(

> Andy

Well I use my own dedicated server on an allocated static IP and still
have these problems. I've tried my ISPs smarthost as well in the past
and didn't find the results any better. I'm afraid that in the majority
of cases it just comes down to AOL having an absolute mess of systems
with multiple filters at varying points in the chain.

It sounds like the initial filters are accepting your email then another
email server it gets relayed to has a different set of rules and is
dropping them.

Good luck. You'll need it.

--
Calum Morrell