RE: Re: Jog Dial - where can I buy ?

Tim,

Detent, is generally a term used to indicate that there is a mechanical
'notch' or 'bump' at each encoder position to give user tacktile feedback
o=
each increment

The outpus are quadrature. That is to say that the encoder will output two
pulse trains which together indicate both direction and speed.  Speed is
simply the rate of pulses (In the example below 64 per rev.)  Direction is
determined by the phase relationhip between the two pulse trains e.g. If A
leads B then CW and vice-versa

You can extract direction with a simple flip-flop (Better explanation than
mine here http://www.doug-smith.net/kf6dx7.pdf)

This link has a couple of nice pictures of a wiping contact encoder
http://coel.ecgf.uakron.edu/grover/web/ee263/labs/Quadrature%20Encoder.pdf

As an example RS lists this bourns encoder :

263-2873	Encoder,optical,rotary,22x16mm,	64 cycles per revolution
=A334.42

To me that'd be expensve for a home project, but it's a personal thing

Dave