Re: Mobile phone help

Dean Barrett wrote:
> One of my partners at works son bought a phone of a mate - he has now
> sold it on Ebay - purchaser was very happy but has now contacted him
> say its blacklisted, and will not function.
> Is this true or is he trying to get his money back.
> I've not come across this personally - I thought that if a phone was
> stolen it became untraceable. If they are blacklistable shouldn't this
> immediately stop phone thefts ??
> Any advice appreciated, his son is getting worried he might be called
> thief.

I see the £1.5 million ad campaign was lost on you.....! Full details at
www.immobilise.com

In the olden days, phones were only able to be blocked by IMEI on a
single network, so eg a stolen Orange phone would not work on Orange
again, but it would work on O2/ Voda etc (assuming it was unlocked). The
other alternative was to reprogram the IMEI so the phone appeared to the
network as a different phone.

Reasonably recently, well I think a year or two ago, the UK networks
finally started sharing databases, so that phones could be blacklisted
across *all* networks (in the UK) rendering them useless (without
exporting to other countries) and the modification of IMEIs was made a
serious offence with up to 5 years jail time

Did the phone work (and on what network) before it was sent off? It may
be legit, or it might be the buyer not happy with the phone and trying
to get a refund.... :

--
Doogie