Re: everyday electronics magazine

Hi Stephen

I did build it thanks to Patrick Lidstone who sponsored me for the Maplin
parts. I used a PIC 16F628 and a load of other little bits. The code is
written in asm assembler and currently outputs to both LCD and serial.  I
will have to look at the hardware again to refresh my memory but it is
quite simple IIRC. It is on my list of things to do to recreate this in my
current favourite processor, the Atmel AVR range. This will be in C as well
so a lot more understandable. The assembler is not for the faint hearted
although if you are familiar with assembler you won't find it too bad
either.

I am happy to share the code which is completely interrupt driven for the
decoding of the signal. There are a few 'features' which you would need to
correct or ignore, mainly to do with errors in the inbound signal. The
serial comms and LCD stuff is in the main program. I can also give you the
circuit diagram for the op-amp which is needed to amplify the signal from
the Maplin parts. There are only 3 wires between the PIC and the external
clock based circuitry and two of these are power!! The other side of the
PIC to the PC is simple enough and again I can give you the circuit
details. I have used breadboard completely so you won't have any trouble at
home.

Let me know if PIC and assembler is OK or if you are interested in the C
version on an Atmel chip. I am a little bogged down with LCD screen surface
mount interfacing at the moment so a little break might be in order. I also
have all the code in both C and assembler to output xAP messages if that is
your way forward.

If anyone else is interested I can put it all together on a web page for
all and sundry rather than keep sending the same mails over and over again.

Let me know

Ian

Stephen
<mail@xxxxxxx